Thread: white smoke...
View Single Post
Old 17th January 2014, 05:39 AM

Hi!
Sorry I have been away from the forum and the car for a couple of days... just to cool down I guess

Thank you very much for the nice words and cheering. I think sometimes, problems just look too big to get over, and you just need to back off from the build a little.

I still think that it is better to change this engine which, I just feel it, will give me more troubles in the future, even if I fix the head and head gasket.

But if sometimes all problems occur in the same time, it can be the same for good news too:

I've been looking for seats for the Roadster for a while, and having them delivered from the UK is always an extra cost for us I'd like to avoid, so I have been looking for a local solution. And someone here in Sweden proposed me, through the Swedish Locost forum, to exchange a pair of Cobra seats in very good condition against a full brake line set for his Caterham. That is quite a good deal, isn't it? And it turned out that this person also has a complete Sierra to strip off, and he is OK to give away the engine which looks to be perfectly working, with the two seats! Pretty cool, isn't it?

He is not leaving close by, so tomorrow I'll spend my day on the road driving there and back, to collect the seats and the engine.

The SFRO (Swedish IVA) inspector also told me that I can take the my first inspection with the old engine (they don't check the engine's working condition, this first inspection is more about the chassis construction, structure, mounting points, suspensions, etc.), and swap engines after the inspection, so I don't have any pressure about that.

It also looks like the fact that all the radiators I've installed so far (3 in total) were all leaking, is due to this head gasket and/or cylinder head failure: compression from the cylinders goes into the cooling circuit, punting it under a pressure the radiator can't take. I'll change the engine before I change radiator next time

So hopefully, before the end of this month, everything will be back to order, and I will have my seats too

Janne, thank you for the offer, I just sent you a personal message.

And thanks to all of you for the help and support. This forum is just great!