View Single Post
Old 21st December 2009, 03:04 AM

I have these shears myself and I find them first class,very neat cut,BUT they need a modification which is to remove the straight air connection at the bottom and replace it with a right angle air connection,this modification will make all the difference as it will allow a better "angle of attack" when cutting.Before I wrote this I thought I had better check them,they will cut 1.2 mm steel and easily cut 1mm half hard alloy sheet,they also cut hard alloy 1.6 mm diameter OK.
they need a big compressor say 12/15 cu feet at around 100 psi though.
For 1 mm alloy a good quality pair of hand shears will do it ok but at 1.6 mm hard alloy its tough going,not as neat as the air shears.
The best tool that I have found for cutting alloy is a Black and Decker carpet cutter,DN 250 electro 8,it does a first class job on 1 mm alloy,the specs say it cuts 1.2 mm alloy max,mine cut 1.6 mm hard alloy easily and neatly but I would not recommend it.It has a variable speed "wheel and flat plate"and it is highly neat and accurate.No matter what method you use for alloy you will need to tidy up the edges with a flat head panel beaters hammer and a smooth file{razor sharp edges}
I have no idea if this carpet cutter is still available(does a great job on carpets also!).
Makita and Hitachi and others probably have plate nibblers at 1.6 mm steel,I have a 3.2 mm version but they are not cheap tools.
Grinding/cutting alloy with discs in my view is dirty,dangerous, inaccurate sloppy workmanship,the edges need truing up and the alloy will heat and anneal and wrinkle.
David