View Single Post
Old 21st December 2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE HIGH View Post
I have these shears myself and I find them first class,very neat cut,BUT they need a modification which is to remove the straight air connection at the bottom and replace it with a right angle air connection,this modification will make all the difference as it will allow a better "angle of attack" when cutting.Before I wrote this I thought I had better check them,they will cut 1.2 mm steel and easily cut 1mm half hard alloy sheet,they also cut hard alloy 1.6 mm diameter OK.
they need a big compressor say 12/15 cu feet at around 100 psi though.
For 1 mm alloy a good quality pair of hand shears will do it ok but at 1.6 mm hard alloy its tough going,not as neat as the air shears.
The best tool that I have found for cutting alloy is a Black and Decker carpet cutter,DN 250 electro 8,it does a first class job on 1 mm alloy,the specs say it cuts 1.2 mm alloy max,mine cut 1.6 mm hard alloy easily and neatly but I would not recommend it.It has a variable speed "wheel and flat plate"and it is highly neat and accurate.No matter what method you use for alloy you will need to tidy up the edges with a flat head panel beaters hammer and a smooth file{razor sharp edges}
I have no idea if this carpet cutter is still available(does a great job on carpets also!).
Makita and Hitachi and others probably have plate nibblers at 1.6 mm steel,I have a 3.2 mm version but they are not cheap tools.
Grinding/cutting alloy with discs in my view is dirty,dangerous, inaccurate sloppy workmanship,the edges need truing up and the alloy will heat and anneal and wrinkle.
David
Thanks ACE HIGH, I have ordered some of those cutting discs frome ebay that TSM suggested as they are the "locost" option. I have been a little concerned as I have always been trained that cutting ally with a solid disc is asking for trouble as the ally may clog the disc, expand and cause it to break - causing injury. However the guys here seem to be using them with no trouble. If they don't work, £10 isn't a big layout and I can always cut other things with them.

I would prefer a proper powered shears as i think it may be easier to cut straight lines with them. For the record I havent tried either method on sheet material yet. I'm hoping to use a big guillotine in work for the large pieces like the bonnet, rear panel etc. However after seeing AshG's work in CKC magazine I don't think I'd call it sloppy workmanship, and I'm not sure CKC would publish a work method that's unsafe.

I can't seem to find the carpet cutters you mention, do you have a link?

Thanks!

Sam

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46