Thread: white smoke...
View Single Post
Old 10th January 2014, 12:02 PM

Hello,

Thank you very much to you all for the replies, infos, tips, etc.

Yes, it really looks like it is a head gasket failure, and perhaps a problem of cracks in the head. There is definitely a kind of brown thing in the header tank, and considering what you all say, the head casket, is dead and may be worse... These aluminium heads can't be skimmed, but only exchanged, at least that what is written in the repair manual.

Well, this engine is 250000 km, it is leaking oil from the rock cover, I suspect crank seals are not in a good shape either, and it is from my donor I bought for £250. When I consider the cost and time of making the tests, buying the parts, and working tame to do to fix the problem I have, without being sure the engine will be OK after that (it is old and used, and other problems can occur), I think I'd better buy another engine.

I found a Scorpio 2.0i DOHC which is 150000km for sale for £250 not far from here, it looks to be in a good shape, and even though I haven't made my mind yet, I think I will go it. It is the easiest, quickest, and perhaps cheapest way to fix my problem. Especially if, as TT says, Scorpio DOHC have a better head gasket.

My first building inspection is booked now for the 28th of January, and I need the definitive engine fitted in the car if I decide to change it before going to the inspection, so I'll make my mind this week-end.

Thanks again for the help