View Single Post
Old 24th March 2015, 11:27 PM

Default Another build/rebuild thread Sierra + MX5

I've been her a while and have had a few of my build questions answered in a number of other threads so I thought it was time to bring it all under one thread. I am now retired so thought I'd better get this build in before its too late.
I built my first car when I was 18 and it was a Lotus 6, a rebuild of a wreck I got from a scrapyard. Two more followed, an Opus HRF and a Ginetta G15 before a move to bikes and a Norton Commando 850 at age 21. I've rebuilt cars over the years and also built a two berth bilge keel yacht. Until a sudden attack of common sense I had bikes as well but eventually sold my Honda Pan European.
I fancied another go at a kit car and looked at GBS Westfield and MEV Exocet but money was an issue so I decided to find a part built Robin Hood 2B+. Then it went wrong and I found a failed build Haynes Roadster. It looked promising and was - er - 95% built. Where have I heard that before?
I got the car home and as I looked at it I found the chassis was fine but much of the mechanical stuff was badly built or dangerous. I removed the Pinto engine and 4 speed box and replaced with a 1.6 MX5 engine and box. Equinox body panels were removed. Everything has been taken apart and replaced or refurbished so I have finally started on the rebuild - or maybe - the build of the car. At the moment I am starting at the rear and have just stripped and rebuilt the rear end with a Sierra diff and drum brakes. A new fuel tank has been sourced from another forum member and will be properly fitted soon.

So at the moment I have a rolling chassis with lots to do.
I have a build blog at http://ianhaynes20.wordpress.com if you want to see where I am at the moment. It gets updated when it rains so its not always fully up to date.

Target - IVA'd by this time next year, I want to take it to the Nat KitCar Show 2016!

IanR