View Single Post
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

flyerncle

when i had my iva they stuck the car on the brake rollers then applied 4 different pressures measured with a device on their foot. while applying the different amounts of pressure they make a note of the efficiency front and rear from the rollers at each pressure.

they then go and put all the data into an excel spreadsheet that works out the front to rear balance at the four different pressure points they then use that data to work out if the overall brake balance is correct.

now if you fit the ford valve they cant do the test on the rollers as the car needs to be moving for the pressure valve to work. the ford valve controls the rear brake pressure through inertia.

so if you have the valve fitted they have to drive the car around the test station and physically test the brakes. they still try it at all four different pressures but they dont have any rollers to give them the data for the spread sheet so the only test they can do is visual to see if the rears lock under breaking.

i didnt fit the valve to my car as i had the small 1.6 sierra drums. but knowing what i know now i would have fitted it. i believe adrian had the bigger 1800 drums and had issues with brake balance. he didnt fit the ford valve he used smaller rear cylinders to reduce the pressure.

at the end of the day there are lots of solutions to the problem none of them are wrong as long as the balance is correct and it passes the iva

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/