View Single Post
Old 25th March 2010, 01:04 AM

I think you people have to be careful when they say these parts are likely to fail - what has been shown is that they may fail in this application on the Haynes roadster. Rally design sell a camber adjuster to suit the locost - that is where it is classified - it does not state anywhere that it is suitable for any other car. As a result - by using it on any other car you could be going outside the original design intent - in this case it is upto the person using them to assess whether they are suitable for this application.

Thinking about the design of the haynes wishbones compared to the locost, the angle will have a major difference on the loads. Consider a locost and roadster at their normal ride height with the wishbones parallel. Imagine hitting a bump, an upward force is applied (this could be many G). In the locost design, with the tube horizontal, resolving the forces, the adjuster would see a vertical load. In the Haynes design, resolving the forces would give an upward load, but also a horizontal component that would be trying to pull the adjuster out. As the wishbone travels through an arc, both designs will see a horizontal and vertical load but the haynes design will be seeing a greater component of force trying to pull the adjuster out than the locost design.

Hopefully that makes some sense - the point I am trying to make is that by using these parts outside their original design intent should not result in a backlash against various manufacturers.

In terms of a solution I intend to make a copy of the adjusters from EN24T steel as I have some kicking around. If I had had some I would probably have gone for 7075 T6 aluminium if it wasn't so expensive.