Thread: Engine noise
View Single Post
Old 30th July 2010, 04:33 PM

SUCCESS

My new cam followers arrived yesterday, so had a good read of the manual last night to get my head around the fitting process, this afternoon I set to on the engine.
Now, I openly admit I am not a trained mechanic, more a case of learnt a little over the years when repairing various cars I,ve owned due to keeping the costs down on basic repairs etc......
Anyways......off with the bonnet & socket in hand off came the rocker cover, with the manual beside me I undo the first set of rocker arms ( keeping them in the correct order on a cardboard cutout to ensure they went back in original place etc).
In the manual it states that the tiny oil passage hole in the follower MUST go opposite to the oil passage hole in the cylinder head, so I pull out the first cam follower to find this was incorrectly fitted
I finally fit all the new followers ensuring they are fitted correctly ( each new one has a painted mark on them to aid fitment ).

It is obvious that my engine has had replacement followers in the past as I found that 5 out of the 8 were incorrectly fitted.

I bolted everything back to the correct torque settings, turned the fuel on ( I have an inline fuel tap ) & started her up......... she started first time & I can,t tell you how chuffed I am she,s running like a purring cat.

I also set to & sorted the high tickover problem I had, with thanks to the spare carb I have I sussed out that as I,m not running the automatic choke system the "step" rotor that is adjusted when using the auto choke was set at its highest tickover position, a quick fiddle with to allow it to rest as if the choke had warmed the engine & now she,s ticking over at the correct revs

Thanks for everyones suggestions of what the prob was, I,m now a very happy bunny indeed.

cheers
andy