Thread: Nose cone size
View Single Post
Old 19th August 2009, 02:02 PM

Hoybi - That would be very helpful. I have PM'd you my email address

Mark, you really are far too honest and helpful

I did toy with the idea of making it from a foam blank, but feel that modifying an existing nose to use as the plug will be a bit easier.
I have done a bit of GRP before, so it's not a total mystery, as such I am happy with doing a cut & shut on the existing one. As I say, it's the plug from which I will create the mould, and will be junked after.

I actually have a couple of metres of 2x2 carbon twill that came with the vacuum pump, so will get some decent epoxy and make a few test pieces first, to help with the following;
Practice using the stuff
Determine what thickness I will be making the parts

Carbon is very pricey, especially when looking at what might be 20-30m of the stuff!! And epoxy is a huge price increase over normal resin. Hence the practice above.

I will be starting with the easier (relatively) bits first, probably some front wings. Method I am thinking of;
Buy set of wings on fleabay
Use as plug to create female in GRP
Vacuum bag the CF into the female mould.
Sell original cycle wings back on Eblag

I don't intend to use anything from Caterham, I like the idea of being able to say "I did it all"

As for buying your moulds, I have a nice, well paid full time job in an office, so buying a set of moulds for a one time use is crazy Then again, if you have a set that are past their best....

I think the toughest ones to do are going to be the rear cycle wings, involving some trailer mudguards and lots of filler to make the plug!!

I'm not sure how much of it will be done in carbon. I may settle for just the front wings and nose.

So, fabby, if you do happen to have any 'seconds' I would be quite interested in buying them to use to create my own moulds

And even if it goes exceptionally well and they turn out perfect, there is no way I am getting into making them for anyone but myself. Far too much aggro

Sean