View Single Post
Old 27th October 2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbodger View Post

Couple of questions - does anyone have any experience of tig welding a chassis? Any tips would be most welcome! Secondly is it necessary to produce any test pieces or results for the IVA? I've had a reply to a different post saying that it's likely the IVA inspector will look very closely at any visible welds (to be expected), I was wondering if people generally have some form of welding test results to hand.

Thanks
Hi If you are comfortable using a TIG welder go for it, there is no real reason as to why the chassis can't be TIG welded.

That said, There are a few places on the chassis that may be very awkward to get to with a TIG torch ( Very acute angles )

If you are intending to use the TIG take care to keep yor joint gaps to an absolute minimum, this will make the task of welding much easier )

I had originally intended to TIG my chassis but soon got bored with the time it was taking & reached for the MIG

As far as I am aware, you will not need to provide any paper evidence to prove your competence as a welder when it comes to the IVA test.

It is a visual inspection only, as a general rule of thumb, if a weld looks poor, the IVA tester is likely to pick you up on it. ( A horrible looking weld is seldom a strong one )

www.roadster-builders.co.uk