View Single Post
Old 15th January 2011, 04:46 PM

Default 2 batteries 1 alternator?

I have a question to any body that knows about electrics. I have a transit recovery that when very cold won't start with just it's own battery but will with a jump. It does'nt need alot even a small bike battery is enough just to give it alittle bit more. I need to run various work lights and the winch from another battery so I don't need the engine running while I'm using the lights or winch. I'm planning on making a perminant jump lead between the two with a cut off switch in the middle. The idea being that when it needs it I can joint the two together and use the second as an on board jumper pack, then remove the key so it does not kill both batteries.
If I run another wire from the alternator to the second battery will one alternator charge both batteries?
As the batteries are joined together through the alternator by a light weight wire compared to the starter cable, will the first battery try and draw power through the alternator wire when the starter motor is in use and melt it?
Is it going to be easier to just have two seprate charging systems ( I have a choice of 3 spare alternators) and run the switched jumper lead between the two?

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334