Thread: Electrolysis
View Single Post
Old 11th August 2009, 07:21 AM

Default Electrolysis

I don't like the idea of electrolysis to clean parts at all,it can lead to hydrogen embrittlement and what I will call"a highly active surface' that can rust and corrode real fast,and be a problem accepting paint,and bearing surfaces can be damaged also,electrolysis to colour parts is OK but something quite different.

However, a sandblaster ,even a simple vacuum type from China(about $70)works miracles,only catch you need the maximum size air compressor that will operate on single phase,around 12/15 cu ft per minute 100 psi plus,but worth buying if you can afford it,even better if the sand goes through an old pressure tank first rather than vacuum fed.Google the net for DIY.

Also there are 2 sandblast cabinets on the market,about $300 NZ,forget this one and a larger one about $700 NZ,you could easily make the portable unit and the cabinet.Dry sand is a must and take care of your lungs,no cheap "Michael Jackson"style masks,only the highest quality masks and helmets.

Sandblasting,works like a miracle,far better than any other way I am aware of and I highly recommend it as a great tool to have in a Clubman 7 build.You just would not believe what it will do for say a diff,engine or brake parts etc.David