View Single Post
Old 20th August 2009, 08:18 AM

Default Fabricated front uprights

I have asked this question on the 'other' forum without getting a definite answer.

Basically, I want to use Cortina front uprights. These seem to be getting harder to track down, and fetching good money. And about 4 years ago there was some discussion by someone called Rorty about fabricating some Cortina pattern front uprights from lasered and welded parts and a bolt in stub axle. Which really appeals to me. But since those initial posts it seems no one has really made any.

We accept the fact that the rears are fabricated, so surely the fronts can be too.

But this leads me on to think about instead of fabricating an upright to match the Cortina geometry and have to modify the Book wishbones to suit, why not fabricate front uprights to replicate the Sierra uprights with the top location built to not have to use the mushroom inserts.

I have access to materials, laser, presses and I although I can weld, I am hoping to get onto a proper welding training course soon.

So, throwing this out to the jury, why shouldn't this be done? I want to scratch build as much as I can, and fabricating front uprights seems like it should be possible. The only thing I have not managed to do is find someone thats already done it.

Last edited by Balidey : 20th August 2009 at 08:23 AM.