View Single Post
Old 13th December 2011, 03:37 PM

Default Correct me if I'm wrong

Initialy I thought that the list was not all local offices and there was one in Southampton. Hence my quip about a longer jaunt.

But, on re-reading it appears that ALL local offices are proposed for closure. Am I reading it correctly?

There is a link on the BBC page (in prev. post) within the sentance "The proposals affect all 39 regional offices, described by Mr Penning as "expensive". " Which seems to indicate that there is some public consultation on this up until March 2012.

I am wondering; how will the inspection of car and VIN will be done by the DLVA when issuing the V5 after the IVA has been passed?

MikeB,

the DLVA are involved at (at least) two stages:

1. Getting a VIN number (which is needed on the car for IVA), this can be done by post or in person at an office (I did it in person when I was registering another car).

2. After the IVA; once you have a pass certificate, one goes to the DVLA office with car and certificate and all one's other documents (donor reg if going for age related plate, proof it's self-built etc.), the bloke at the DLVA then 'inspects' it. That si, he checks the car you have claimed to have built is the one bearing the VIN number, has passed IVA and possibly checks the engine age.

eSteve