View Single Post
Old 3rd October 2015, 04:42 PM

Sorry guys, its been a long time since an update and as some of the (non) progress has been detailed elsewhere I'll do a summary. (Sorry its a bit long).

The engine and gearbox were in, steering and suspension sorted, radiator mounted and I've sorted out all the plumbing so I tried to sort out the wiring. The MX5 I broke up was working when I stripped it so I thought all was well with the wiring but just to make sure I laid it all on the car and hooked it all up to test it out with the original loom. I had previously removed wiring for electric windows, air con, things that were not connected and tidied the loom up a bit.

I hooked it up and although the speedo lit up with its mileage and the engine turned over the batt light didn't come on. I spent ages looking for wiring diagrams for my Mk 2 but could never get an exact match so testing voltages was difficult. Eventually I found water damage to the plugs on the ECU. I bought some from a guy on facebook and after waiting ages they didn't arrive. I found some more at MX5 city, they didn't arrive so after talking to them, apologies, they had forgotten to send them. A set arrived, the wrong ones, for a Mk1. More apologies and eventually another correct set arrived. I replaced the ECU plugs but no change. I found a very useful sheet which give all the expected voltages and what they connect to for the ECU but couldn't get them to match correctly. I checked inside the ECU and lots of corrosion, wires missing and lots of green corrosion. Now I replaced the ECU, immobiliser computer and the transponder key set and steering lock.
Eventually I got it hooked up and it turned on with proper dash lights. I hadn't got the fuel sorted so a delay.
I fitted the loom properly with clips every 200mm or so, ditto the fuel system, made a battery tray and put it all together properly.
Final connection of fuel pipe made today at about 3pm. Hooked up the FP to ground contacts on the diagnostic socket and the fuel pump worked, put some fuel in stolen from the lawn mower and let it prime.
Turned the key and IT STARTED!!!!!!!!
Never thought it would after all the time spent getting nowhere and I don't understand why it ran before being dismantled but Hoorah, its finally coming together after 8 weeks messing with the wiring!