View Single Post
Old 25th May 2017, 03:02 AM

So, I've been thinking more about my bodywork and have decided to take the plunge and attempt to make my own scuttle and bonnet. The scuttle I don't fin particularly alarming as I can fabricate a steel frame which I can then skin with ally. The bonnet is a source of anxiety though as if its so much as a millimetre out it'll look gash. it'd no doubt going to take some time and need huge amounts of fettling. My main motivation for this is that funding for the car is going to dry up for a while but these should take an equally long amount of time to get right so, that's fine.

Another thing I'm having second thoughts on is the eventual (meaning years) plan for the future was to turbo charge the car but the more I think about past engines that I've really enjoyed I'm tempted to go the other way and produce a crisp naturally aspirated engine. The best car motor I've used was in fact a 1.6 205 gti. It was not fast but I didn't car. It was exciting, sounded great, took off at the top end and loved to basically rev its nuts off. The close ratio gearbox was also equally important.

So, I'm very tempted to go for an ITB setup coupled with a cam change. There are also close ratio gear kits available for the MX5 box to compliment this.

Whats good about this plan as no matter what I was going to run the engine from an MS ecu which means dyno time. Why not fit the itb's no prior to IVA and pay for one lot of dyno time? Anyways, I'm on a night shift and having a thought vomit so better shut up now before I plan even more elaborate ideas.