Thread: Mot/iva
View Single Post
Old 1st June 2009, 02:31 PM

Default Iva & Mot

Hi to all that have been following this thread.

Unable to bear the unclear situation any longer I telephoned my local IVA test centre.

I was lucky enough to be able to speak to the IVA examiner in person.
Exeptionaly pleasant to talk to & was super helpful.

It was explained that I was building an ameteur built kit car & using a single donor as a source of parts.

I raised the subject of MOT.
It transpires that a MOT is not required in order to carry out the IVA test but due to the age of the donor it will require an MOT before it can be registered with the local DVLA

I was advised that as an MOT will be required at some stage it would be best to have an MOT before the IVA.
Purely to know that the car meets the required MOT Standard. As a bonus you will know that the brakes & emissions are corectly set up.

The car can be driven to the IVA provided it is insured.

I would assume that any exemption from MOT during the first 3 years is limited to an all new build with a current registration mark.

Q or age related plate will require an MOT test prior to registration.

Me ole mucker Flyerncle was right & I was wrong

This information was direct from the person who will ultimately be doing my IVA test.
I'll be following his advice to the letter. Finish car, MOT,IVA, Register at my local DVLA, Then enjoy

I will trailer to IVA though. A 250 mile round trip in an unknown entity will do my brain in

I hope this helps some of you.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk