View Single Post
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbug007 View Post

So I got my trusty multimeter out and started checking readings between the key barrel and the battery. Strangely I get continuity and voltage readings on the live (red) wire when the key is off or in position 1. As soon as I turn they key to position 2 or onto the cranking position, the voltage drops to 0?
I had a similar problem.
used a 6 pin universal ignition switch (came with no instruction notes) and after checking with multi meter found the common + supply, acc, on and start pins. Everything works well until one turns the key to start, and nothing happens....
After connection pilot test lamps to ignition switch to check the lights goes on at acc position, again on at on position but when turned to start, the on lamp went off and the start lamp lit! This explained why all systems died when starting and no juice supplied to ecu, coil etc when starting - obviously it will never go.

The solution was a simple jumper wire on the ignition pins to keep 12v continuity on the on position whilst cranking the starter.

Hope this helps

Wynand
http://5psi.net