Thread: Vmax's build
View Single Post
Old 21st March 2015, 05:55 PM

Default build number 2

ok so its been a long while since i have been actively building a roadster as the planned move never did come about and we are still in the same place so here goes number 2

since the last build was sold i have been lurking about the forum making the odd post and generally regretting the decision to sell up and planning build 2

anyway about a month ago a post was put up saying there was a build gong free to the collector so had a look at the photos and it seemed a worthwhile trip 400 miles each way as at first glance it looked to be a nearly complete chassis with some suspension components and a few donor parts so i thought thats a great start will get the green light and go for it

got the wifes blessing and sent the owner a message saying i will get the sisters trailer and head on down to collect

in the meanwhile i sent a facebook friend request so i could see the rest of the most recent photos and as soon as the request was accepted i knew i would have to rethink the sisters large camping trailer

so a message to kev K4KEV secured a trailer that was big enough to collect the build

so the arrangements where made to drive down on saturday 7th march and come back same day so weekend off work oked with wife trailer secured enough funds for the fuel there and back

the friday before the weekend soon arrived and i made the short trip to go and see kev and borrow the trailer he built for his roadster after chatting for a while we set to work getting it out of its hiding place (on its side between 2 caravans) after a bit of grunting and huffing and puffing we got it out and hooked up to my car

and i went home and parked the trailer on my garden and got ready to go to work for 3.30pm

work ended at 10pm after my excitement made me show photos and tell anyone who would listen about the planned journey I went straight to bed for a couple of hours sleep i got up and left for the long journey south at 2am

the journey down went reasonably smoothly apart from a few small diversions and roadworks the traffic was light and would have been there by 9.30am as i planned but my weak pea bladder had other ideas and i had to keep stopping at services on the way down

eventually i arrived late 11.30am i got there to be followed into the farm where the roadster was situated by terry (TKPM) who kindly offered help with the loading we turned into the farm track and after 400 miles of motorway and country roads the trailers wheel arch came off and was smashed as the trailer runs over it so taking the lesser of 2 evils i removed the other arch to stop the risk of the other falling off on the motorway on the way back

we got to the farm and went into the pigpen to have my first look at the roadster in the flesh so to speak
[IMG][/IMG]

the excitement instantly built and i could not wait to get it home to start working on it but home was still 400 miles away so we loaded the car up onto the trailer and that took about 20 seconds
[IMG][/IMG]
strapped down and got back on the road at about 1pm

cont....