View Single Post
Old 26th August 2015, 10:13 PM

So I fired a mail to the diyautotune company enquiring about my required setup.
They sent the below back and my brain exploded again.
1. What year / make / model / engine / transmission? (Pretend you're at the parts store, ordering a starter.) If this isn't the original engine / electronics, let me know that too.
2. Are you looking to control fuel only, ignition only, or fuel and ignition?
3. Is it important to you to run sequential injection, or is bank to bank fueling OK for you?
4. Beyond fuel and ignition, are there any other must-have features, such as internal SD card data logging instead of logging to a laptop, boost control, nitrous control, cooling fans, etc?
5. What are the engine details (type, number of cylinders, previously fuel injected or carb'd?)
6. What type of ignition system does your car run- is there a distributor? Coil pack? Coil on Plug?
7. What sort of sensor(s) does it use to trigger the ignition? Variable reluctor (magnetic pickup)? Optical? Hall effect? Old fashioned mechanical breaker points? Are the sensors triggered by trigger wheels on the crankshaft / flywheel, distributor / cam, or both?
8. How many teeth / windows / slots and are on the crank or distributor trigger wheel? How are they arranged? (Equally spaced, missing teeth gaps, etc)
9. Does this engine have a fast idle valve (IAC)? If so, how many wires are connected to it? Do you know if it is an on/off, pulse width modulated, thermal, or stepper type?
10. Rate yourself 1-5 on technical confidence in yourself. 1 being "I can't paint by numbers" and 5 being "I can probably build a car from scratch if I have the right documentation, and I'm resourceful enough to do some research and find some of my own answers." I need to know this as some of the 'less traveled' roads will require you to make modifications that in some cases I haven't performed myself yet and based on this response it will help me to know whether this type of solution is for you or not. I challenge you to 'stretch yourself' a little bit. You won't ever learn anything (about yourself and your abilities) if you don't try to do things that you're not quite sure you can do... and then find that you can.
11. Are you looking to build your own ECU from a kit or buy a pre-assembled ECU?
12. Are you open to retrofitting a different ignition system or one of our crank trigger kits if it is determined that the MegaSquirt will not properly (or easily) control your factory ignition system, or if we determine your existing sensors / ignition do not support the features you would like to add to this motor?

Why can getting an ECU not be so simple as - pay money - plug in - away you go! Guessing I need to spend some serious hours trawling internet before ordering. Not been able to find an omex supplier yet if that would be the easiest then I will step up the hunt!