View Single Post
Old 24th October 2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
I am a little surprised that your products have had a a somewhat hostile reception from some quarters

Rather overstating the case there just a tiny little bit I think. I've had another look through and can't see any hostility, although it could be that what you and I mean by that word are different. I can't see any aggression either. Piss taking, in my case, I will hold my hand up to.

Anyway, that said the issue here is not one of quality. The OP seems to think that the price is justified by the quality and I daresay he is right, and Talon's post confirms this well enough for me. But this issue isn't quality, but appropriateness. Has the OP got the right product at the right price?

I don't think he has, and it would seem I am in the majority (makes a nice change for me).

I think what has happened is that the OP has designed a product, based on his experience with his friend's car, and only then has he considered the issue of price. That really is an arse-backwards way of doing it. A much better appoach is that taken by the other traders here, and that is to work out what product is needed, and what kind of price would be paid, and then design a product to fit those parameters.

That is the really clever, or at least sensible, thing to do.

I would suggest the OP, and anyone else who fancies becoming a manufacturer, thinks about what products are difficult for an amateur, as a one-off, to make, then think about what price that amateur might be prepared to pay, to do some sums as to what the raw materials and parts might cost and THEN go to the drawing board, or computer, and do the design.

As to the piss taking, and the 'good' comments, anyone who puts their products out into the world and offers them for sale had better get ready for all kinds of responses, and take more notice, up to a point, of the negative ones than the positives.