View Single Post
Old 4th February 2011, 04:25 PM

Hi Barry

This is how the extensions came about came about ( This is to the best of my knowledge )

After the book was written & Roadster Number 1 had been on some real life roads, it was found that the dampers tended to reach full extension on bumpy surfaces .... Just guessing here " Full Droop !!?? ".
Sorry, clueless when it comes to suspension terminology

Chris decided the best way to counter this problem would be to add a 1" extension to the top of the damper .... This way, the original active part of the damper would remain unchanged.

Purely guessing here, I would imagine that if longer dampers were fitted, the springs lengths & rates would need to be changed to allow for the longer active part of the damper.

Chris felt that it would be unfair to expect the average builder to start messing about with the suspension geometry .... So much easier to use an " Out of the box solution ".

The way I look at it is, both Dampertec & Protec supply the roadster shocks with a 1" extension to cater for the Roadster.
I am sure that if there was a better solution available, either company would advise accoringly

Been fabricating & working on motors for year's & I will be the 1st one to admit .... I know diddly squat when it comes to suspension design & geometry

Hopefully there is some logic in there somewhere !!

www.roadster-builders.co.uk