Thread: welding
View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2011, 03:29 PM

First, welcome among us !
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcarkid View Post
thanks mate nd when doing the tack welds on the bottom chassis rails do you do the tacks on the top or side cause i keep thinking that if i tack on the top the weld will block the upright?
Yes you are right. Prefer tacking on the corners when possible, rather than on top. On places you will have another tube coming over the junction, you can tack on the side. There are some old posts about that on the forum.
Regarding fire hazard, just be very careful, and to back up "Aussie_Haynes_MX5", always have fire extinguisher ready in the workshop. A bucket with water and wet towels can also be useful in case of emergency.
The melting metal will mark the table, sometimes makes small flames, but as far as I'm concern, nothing more. (but I'm sure there are a lot of bad stories and experience regarding this matter ) For example, I have a paper map on top of my table as a layout, and of course, heat consumes the paper where you tack or weld, but it never got on fire.
Another advise to avoid fire hazard : when you finish welding for the day, find something else to do in the workshop for 15-30 minutes before leaving the place, so when you leave the room, you'll be sure nothing is burning, or you would have noticed it. For example, putting things in order, sorting out your tools and cleaning the table can give you this useful time. And you'll be glad to find your workshop in order the next day
Good luck for the building !