View Single Post
Old 27th April 2010, 04:17 PM

Cheers Ronnie

I should really add that with a 4-1 you will get a bigger 'lump' in your power/torque curve down low - compared to two smaller lumps higher up with a 4-2-1. Some people will say that a 4-2-1 provides better mid-range. To be honest with you the only way to get a good exhaust system is to build a few and try them. We built an adjustable setup on a dyno once which was interesting to play with - but to be honest the difference was only a few hp moved around. It never yielded massive changes in performance. Th same theory also applies to your intake system - if you have a negative pressure wave you also have a positive one. Hence you should try and tune your intake runner lengths. The big question is does it really matter? You see a lot of cars around that produce great hp numbers - but are undriveable - stuttery throttle, poor mid range. Fine if your a flat out circuit racer but no good on roads or twisty circuits. I've seen cars that have 10 or 20 hp down on the rest obliterate much quicker cars on paper because they ar so driveable. Anyway enough of a rant.

Those kits look good - I did consider them but thought I should really go the whole hog and go stainless. Not got all the bits yet, but guessing it will cost me somewhere about the £160 mark for the bits. Try having a look at various bike cans from any of the big 1000cc bikes - GSXR, R1, SV1000, CBR/Fireblade, Bandit 1200 - those should get you started. Search for the standard cans as so many people swap them you shouldn't struggle to find one. The only issue can be the end pipe and whether it has enough radius on it not to melt your rear arches.

Cheers

Dave