View Single Post
Old 17th October 2011, 09:35 PM

Default Coilovers : different size front/rear

Hi,
Here in Sweden, we have SFRO, which is the equivalent of your IVA in UK. They publish a manual, and you have to respect their regulations if you build a car.
One of them is that the shock absorbers (let's write "s.a." to be shorter) have to be set at a maximum angle of 20° to 30° (I guess they mean from the vertical axis).

The roadster is designed with s.a. at a 45° angle, so here in Sweden, we need to modify the position of the s.a. brackets to get a max. angle of 30°. As the s.a. will more "vertical", it will also have to be shorter (if we want to keep the wishbones and uprights as they are, and modify the design as less as possible).
Do you follow me until here ?

For more info, I publish the study I made of the different options (but certainly not the only ones) on my blog with a lot of illustrations. But let me warn you : it is quite long and can be extremely boooooring...

http://vouchtroadster.blogspot.com/2...s-to-meet.html

Anyway, after calculations, 3D simulations and so on, it appears that in order to make the smallest modifications and do it the easiest way, the front coilovers will have to be 12'' inches long, and the rear ones will have to be 11'' long.

My question is : do you see any problem having different lengths of s.a. at the front and at the rear ?

Thank you for your comments and opinions about that.