View Single Post
Old 18th November 2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
Its not that easy! First off you'll need a custom manifold for around £150 from boggs. Then the throttle bodies (£120 for R1 throttle bodies on ebay) and an aftermarket ECU, say a Megasquirt for Edis4 for around £350 from extraefi. Even getting tuned on a rolling road you'll be happy with 160bhp. People throw around big bhp figures with bolt on mods, but its just not going to happen.
I never mentioned prices Almost anything is easy with the right money thrown at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
a Roadster that i see very often has a 2ltr zetec on bike carbs & megajolt & is one rapid car , approx 170bhp.
Sounds pretty cheap to me, although the use of carbs would need to be looked at in terms of emissions. Megajolt is about £150-200 I believe (not too sure as I am going FI route, probably with an Emerald ECU @ around £650 for reasons to be revealed soon enough)

Also, GSXR is the preferred manifold, as they can be re-spaced to fit an ST170 manifold, complete with ST170 fuel rail, injectors etc.
I have heard that ZX12 throttle bodies match almost perfectly, although at 48mm they are a tad big.

Don't forget that when fitting one of these lumps to a kit car, the standard, restrictive exhaust system will hit the bin, as will the airbox.

By all accounts, (although I have not done it personally) a std. 2.0 Zetec (130bhp) will achieve 160-170bhp with throttle bodies when fitted to a kit car.
Obviously this would include a decent exhaust system, free flowing intake and user programmable ECU, a little bit of DIY porting, just to match the intake and exhaust manifolds. Nothing really beyond the realms of practicality for a kit car builder

A standard car has to meet certain emissions/fuel economy targets. A car that is only driven in a 'spirited' fashion, might not put fuel economy at the top of the list.

This is the route I am going, although I am starting with a slightly more powerful lump to start with, for a degree of future proofing (I have further mods planned).

Last edited by londonsean69 : 18th November 2009 at 11:21 PM.