View Single Post
Old 29th June 2014, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Think your chassis must be out somewhere, I've had to cut the returns off the side panels for a length in my engine bay as it was out a couple of mm. If I was you I'd either ditch the side panels and make them in ali or cut the returns off where needed and glue the side panel on with some carefully placed counterskinks that would be much better than having the nose etc raised up.
Mike, I really seriously considered what you said : rising the nose cone, etc. doesn't look to be a good solution. I really tried to plan for every other possible solution, but didn't get anywhere. I really want the side panels to be removable, I know myself, I'll have to remove them in the future, even when the car is on the road. So gluing is out of the table. I could cut the rerun edges, and trim the top edge of the side panels flush with the top of the chassis, but it will oblige me to bolt them from the side, and I think it will look kind of ugly to have bolt on the side, even dome head ones, it will look like a WWII plane fuselage ;-)
So, unless someone sees another solution, I think that raising the nose cone of about 10mm is the only way to sort out my problem.

The lower edge of the nose, under the radiator, will be solid mounted on FF1

2014-06-29_18-02-42 par Voucht71, sur Flickr

The front ends of the side edges are lying on the top edges of the side panels. To fill the gap between TR1/TR2 and the nose cone side edges, I plan to use a 25x10mm rubber strip. With rivnuts in TR1/TR2, the bolts will cross this rubber strip.

2014-06-29_18-03-52 par Voucht71, sur Flickr

2014-06-29_15-31-51 par Voucht71, sur Flickr

2014-06-29_15-32-18 par Voucht71, sur Flickr

Will this be acceptable?