View Single Post
Old 13th March 2012, 10:25 PM

Posted a few time on locost uk on this topic.

I am building a complete BMW E36 3 series clubby.
Currently finishing off the chassis, though its a custom design (same width (1118), same frame height (355) as roadster and slightly longer (3137 v 3083)). In hind sight i should have just modded the Haynes chassis to suit the BMW that way the design would be useful for others as well.

The issues you will face:
The front upright - Cant be used on a double a-arm without some mods. ie GKD welded on change (not ok in australia), modded strut (what i am doing see below) or use another one.

Rear upright - Bin it and use the Haynes style but you will need to get a bearing carrier made to bolt on. Nothing major required justed a backing plate with a tube to hold the bearing.
Engine - VERY tall! The sump hangs down and there only a few options. Dry sump (~$1000 by the time you have it installed IMO), cut the sump down by ~1in throught middle (AL so bit of extra welding fun) or just raise the engine + use a bulge.
Steering column, the lower section is AL, so you will need to get an early 5 or 7 series lower steel section that be extended as per the book mods.
Seat belts- The coupe rear seats are mounted in the seats so get a pair of Sedan rears instead.

I have a build diary located here:http://www.ozclubbies.com.au/index.p...ys-tf7i-build/
You will need to register, then get approved to access the forum.

Any questions let me know, dont have any 100% drawings as i did alot of on the fly updates while building.

Also i am Melbourne, Australia.

Cheers,
Taffy