View Single Post
Old 20th July 2011, 01:17 PM

Hi Rick....Anodising is a lot easier... Sulphuric Acid is your electrolyte AAA always add acid to de-ionised or distilled water I used battery acid at around 15-20 percent with water ....start with lower value.... battery acid is already diluted as is
the aluminium is your anode and lead sheeting (same or more surface area as anode) as the cathode. use a largish container as your bath...I use around 2litres.... aluminium rods and wire are my hangers/conductors if it is new aluminium make sure it is very very clean (polished or not ) I use acetone as a final clean before anodising ....when finished, it will look slightly dull ...take out and clean with de ionised or distilled water then put in a dye bath (I use commercially available dye)... leave in for however long you want or whatever depth of colour you want which is a trial and error thing.... then you put in a pan of hot water on the simmer to seal the anodised layer again it is down to preference but I often use a small steam cleaner to seal. by the way you must not let the anodising bath get too hot because that will self seal before colouring stage I would say less than hand hot.... less than 50 C'.
If it is an already anodised part then you have to suspend item in a bath of caustic soda (which is fun to watch as it is vigorous and quick) to remove the original anodised layer then prep as above.....think I have covered everthing there ... google DIY anodising ....there are lots of informative sites.