Thread: 2l Pinto EFI
View Single Post
Old 17th October 2009, 11:08 AM

I have the same engine and have fitted bike carbs and left the injection ECU in place to run the ignition timing. The car is not on the road yet but the engine runs well and the ignition advances with the revs.

The theory goes like this....

the EEC IV ECU is a very basic ecu and the ignition advance is controled by the revs on the throttle position sensor (so you need to get carbs with a TPS).

All other engine sensors on the pinto such as the airflow, air temperature sensor are to control fueling which is independent from the ignition advance.

You will also need a low presure fuel pump to run the carbs and probably a presure regulator to run carbs a 2-3 psi.

I have modified the efi loom and only left the TPS and oil pressure sensor all other wires for mass air flow, air temperature, idle control and injectors have been cut and well insulated.

The ford advance curve in the ecu will not be ideal but I should get the car on the road with it and I plan an upgrade to megajolt later.

MegaJolt will run ignition timing with custom maps for ignition advance and pc conectivity but you would need to replace the dizzy with edis and fit a trigger wheel for a crank position sensor.

Another option which I have looked at is a bestek ignition system (search on ebay) which replaces the dizzy and coil it seems to produce good results but has little or no scope for custom maps or pc tom foolery.

Hope this helps

Andrew