Thread: 2l Pinto EFI
View Single Post
Old 17th October 2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingea1pom View Post
Not compleatly straight forward then, I supose I could keep the EFI on it, it is just ECU's scare me a little.

Rapidtornado thanks for the link.
You may find the efi inlet plenum will stick up through your bonnet, and it's shape isn't IVA friendly.

I put one of those engines in a Capri some years ago, don't be scared of the efi system, it's really quite simple - just be careful when you strip it down, try not to cut any wires and label label label everything.

If you do want to go carbs - the electronic dizzy will be fine - it's not controlled by the ecu, Ford didn't put fully mapped ignition in these early systems - the DOHC was the first to have it. This system works the other way round, using the ignition as a datum to time the injectors. In know plenty of people in the classic ford scene who have replaced their points dizzy with one - you just need the module with the thick ally plate on the base - but that comes with the donor anyway.

The only concern would be the inlet ports, they are egg shaped to allow the injectors to fire cleanly into the top of the port. However i've seen loads of these heads with twin DCOE carbs fitted with no problems, just use a good quality gasket and trim it to fit the port shape. It's a much better head than earlier carb heads - better gasflow, hardened valve seats, better cam etc etc

best of luck! give me a shout if you have any more questions!

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46