Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th July 2011, 09:04 PM

Default Bike Carbs

I'm trying to fit some ZX6 F3 Carbs to a 1.8CVH, I have made the plate to bolt to the block but am unsure as how to proceed from here I was going to make angled spacers approx 30 degrees so the carbs floats sit level but still connect via the original manifold rubbers but this involves splitting then respacing the carbs this look like a lot of work. Has anyone got any pictures of other methods i.e welding tubes in at an agle and connecting with silicon hose's ?
Old 6th July 2011, 09:30 PM

Cool Bike carbs

There is a very good and comprehensive article on fitting bike carbs in the NOV 2010 issue of CLASSIC FORD magazine. Try to get hold of a copy its brilliant
They(Bogg Brothers in Chester) advise avoiding splitting them due to the linkage problems
Bolt the manifold flange to a jig to avoid distortion and angle the tubes to the carbs using the shortest piece of silicone hose you can for stability.

Last edited by ayjay : 6th July 2011 at 09:37 PM. Reason: stuff added
Old 7th July 2011, 08:29 AM

Gus is currently making a manifold to use the same carbs as you on a 2 ltr black top zetec. I have also done a similar setup on a cvh using the original bike carb rubber mountings, and without respacing the carbs.

Basically we have got a plate to suit the head, and a plate to suit the carbs. Pipes then run between the two plates with them welded & internally ground as needed to match the ports.

Hope the above helps

OTR 01/05/14 - 1.6 CVH, Type 9, Bike Carbs, Megajolt
Old 7th July 2011, 09:55 AM

Brilliant this is realy helpful think I will try someting simular to you as it will save splittiing the carbs which none seems to recommend one final thing any ideas where I can get a manual for these carbs or just an explanation of what all the hoses do and if they are even needed, I read somewhere one of the feeds is for coolant I wouldn't think I need this one
Old 7th July 2011, 10:11 AM

Having seen the carbs Gus is using I wouldn't say any of them were for coolant, but I may be wrong. What ignition system are you planning on using?

Old 7th July 2011, 10:42 AM

Was going to try just the edis from the CVH to start with then maybe megajolt what have you used ? Do you know what sensors I need to retain from the donor I was thinking Air temp, Manifold Temp and Vacuum
Old 7th July 2011, 11:06 AM

how did you work out the angles on the tubes? I have been cutting various guesses out of some scrap tube but cant seem to work out exactly waht to cut, I'm using a miter on a bandsaw
Old 7th July 2011, 11:25 AM

Sounds like you are using the original hybrid esc system fitted to the carb Sierra's. In which case you will need to retain all the existing sensors for it to work correctly. Water temp, air temp, map sensor.

My engine was orignally from a fuel injected Sierra. I binned all the CFI except for the EDIS module, and wired in a megajolt to control the advance.

As for the tubes I drew the manifold on the cad system at work and altered it until I was happy with it. I then produced flat patterns of the pipes on paper, cut them out and wrapped them around some tube. Simple job of cutting with a disc cutter then.

Old 7th July 2011, 11:34 AM

Whats the map sensor ? I had a sensor our of the air filter which I thought was air temp I also have a crank sensor which I will need.
Old 7th July 2011, 12:20 PM

If they do have cooling pipes connect them up, lots of people say they arent needed but they actually are quite useful

Depending on the carbs they can actually ice up in temps nowhere near freezing point in damp air due to the cooling effect of the atomising fuel