Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th August 2013, 09:31 AM

Question Seat hole positioning

Morning.

I'm just about at the point of stripping my chassis and having it powder-coated. All I have left to do is weld in the seat support rail.

But I have no seats

Is there a 'universal' hole position for the seats, or do different seats have different hole positions? I don't want to have to damage the lovely paint on my chassis if I do it wrong.
Old 14th August 2013, 10:25 AM

From my experience - you need the seats to know where you will mount them. If you haven't had the seat in position and sat in it (whilst making brum brum noises)- how do you know that the:

Pedals
Steering wheel
Harness mounts
Gear lever
Handbrake

Are in the right place to suit you?
Old 14th August 2013, 10:31 AM

I am using Triton race seats mounted on Rover Metro seat runners. These are mounted to 3x40mm strips welded across the chassis between the outer rails and the TT rails. My holes are located 215mm and 545mm forwards from the front face of BR12.

This arrangement allows my seats to go as far back as the chassis allows and forwards into a 'nose-on-windscreen' driving position. As jps says though you should ideally have the seats if you want to be 100% certain.
Old 8th September 2013, 07:09 PM

Sorry to hi-jack this thread but as it's along the same lines thought I would ask here.
I am fitting my seats using box section is it ok to use rivnuts in the box section or will it be a problem for the I.V.A.
I have got my seats from Robin hood and their seat runners so I have all of the dimensions I need just thought I would check on the suitability

Arfon
Old 9th September 2013, 02:37 AM

Going to depend on the seats. I'm using lotus exige seats with the stock runners. The drivers was on sliders and passenger was fixed. I more or less had to rebuild the passenger seat frame to clear the chassis. So what I'm saying is without the seats your going to be grinding off that powder coat. They were one of the first things I bought since a bunch of other parts depend on them... that and I wanted to be able to sit in the chassis and make vroom sounds. Without them pedal placement, steering wheel placement, and even engine placement is pretty difficult.
Old 9th September 2013, 08:23 AM

One way round this problem of not having the seats is to make the mounting tubes universal, if you stop thinking of every thing being 90' to every thing else then it frees up some options. If you weld the tubes solid around all four sides you can then just drill through and bolt them in later.

Old 9th September 2013, 08:30 AM

That doesn't mean that the holes will line up you get either the front pair or the rear pair but that doesn't mean that the other pair will come in line with your steel work and if it doesn't then you will either be cutting half of what you have already done to move it of adding even more steel and weight.
The only real benefit I can see in that is you are adding triangulation to the floor.
just my humble opinion.

Arfon
Old 9th September 2013, 08:40 AM

If your using seat runners then you can put the bolts through the channels, most of them seem to be around the same sort of length. You don't have to use the holes that are in the seat runners as standard you can drill more holes in them. It's not about getting the holes to hit the middle of the tube at a predetermined point it's about making the build process more flexable.

Last edited by Talonmotorsport : 9th September 2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 9th September 2013, 09:07 AM

It's as long as it's broad no real benefits as you have got to drill 6 holes instead of 4 no real logic to it

Arfon
Old 9th September 2013, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArf View Post
Sorry to hi-jack this thread but as it's along the same lines thought I would ask here.
I am fitting my seats using box section is it ok to use rivnuts in the box section or will it be a problem for the I.V.A.
I have got my seats from Robin hood and their seat runners so I have all of the dimensions I need just thought I would check on the suitability

Arfon
I think box section is usually reinforced with crush tubes - which is why I used 3mm flat bar - just seemed simpler. Plus the whole thing will be supported by the floor anyway - so box seemed like overkill...

Still can't see a decent solution other than getting your seats and mocking it all up. It's the only way to be sure it's right...