Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th July 2010, 12:42 PM

Default New Build Hopefully

Hello All,
After reading the forum for a few years finally decided to take the plunge. Been debating on various cars and decided on the Haynes. Only decision now is to buy or build the chassis. Never welded so not sure how realistic it is, bought the book today so have had a quick read. Any advice welcome.
Cheers

Mark
Old 19th July 2010, 01:28 PM

Hi Mark, welcome to a very exclusive club of slightly deranged people with similar interests I had never welded before so bought a load of scrap steel and practiced until I was good at it and then practiced some more. It's not actually that hard if you have a decent welder and the patience and desire to learn. Get yourself a decent auto darkening helmet and some decent gauntlets. Most people use mig but I am "different" I used arc. Best of luck with the build, any questions you may have will have answers somewhere on this forum.
Enoch
Old 19th July 2010, 03:07 PM

There's nothing more satisfying than building your own, the forum's own AshG did a series of articles in Complete Kit Car covering his build, he did an evening course to learn to weld (worth considering if you're not used to welding, ignore if you are good at it ) the end result was on our stand at Exeter last year and went down a storm. It might be worth while seeing if back issues are still available.

There's a massive amount of knowledge on the forum, so don't be affraid to ask.

Kind regards

John

Contact us at component-sales@hotmail.co.uk or visit our website www.3gecomponents.com
Old 19th July 2010, 03:54 PM

Default New Builder

Welcome to the best forum with the best replica builders, what you don't know someone on here will help with the answer, advice is free. There are at least 2 builders in Spalding, 1 in Holbeach, and me near long Sutton.
Old 19th July 2010, 06:32 PM

Hi Mark, like yourself I am new to this so we are in pretty much the same boat. I bought the book, read a lot of posts on here and then realise that you need to measure twice and cut once,

good luck

Arfon H
Old 19th July 2010, 08:03 PM

If there's one piece of advice i could offer you would be to buy a chassis kit pre cut. Saves hours of work and works out not much more in costs.

Handy Andy is your man

My Build Diary - http://davesroadster.blogspot.com/

*updated 7/6/11*

Best bit so far: Getting it running
Worst bit so far: Cutting steel for wishbones and engine mounts.
Most annoying bit so far: Generator packing up half way through welding.
Old 19th July 2010, 08:58 PM

Hi Mark,

Just take a little section of the book each week / month, digest, research and then take the plung. It is suprising how quickly it all links together.

I found the chassis reasonably simple to build, but as for the tricky wishbones I puchased from 3GE as I did not want to take a chance on that bit.

The great thing about the Haynes Project is that you can now buy it all in, or make as much as you like. The only difference is to how much money you are willing to spend on it. I am currently at £4600. But I have 95% of the bits I require and its a Cologne V6. My cost is higher than average, but thats because I like shiny stuff and spent £950 on the fuel system alone! (Watch my build linky)

If you want to kick start your build with instant results, buy a flat pack, other wise, the self build gives a total satisfaction of knowing you did it all!

I was hoping to complete in 2 years, but not I guess it will 2.5 years of Saturday's..

Good luck mate

Last edited by Spikehaus : 19th July 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 20th July 2010, 09:48 AM

Hi,
Thanks to all for the welcome and advice.
Cheers

Mark