Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th May 2012, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator

Default Big Thank You

Have to say a big thanks to handy Andy and k4kev. yesterday for the second year running I managed to damage my car on the moors out on a 1000mile road trip. What was even stranger was that I did it about 30miles from Andys again! (some may say it's becoming a habbit) to cut a long story short I smashed a hole in my Ali sump going over a crest in the moors and lost all my oil in about 30seconds fortunately I turned it off before all the oil was out. I got the car recovered to Andy's and he kindly lent me his garage offering to put his car out on the road in the rain. an hour later the sump was off and Andy was driving me 15miles down the road where kev kindly spent a good hour or two patching up the damage with his tig welder. Drove back to Andy's not forgetting KFC for dinner on the way fitted the sump filled her with new oil hey presto back on the road. by then it was about 11pm and we were 150miles from where we was meant to be staying. Andy offered us a bed for the night but wanting to catch up with the group I decided to go for the ultimate first road test and drive it overnight the 150miles to Blackpool. Well other than being about -3deg c everything went fine.

cheers guys you saved me a very long ride of shame on a low loader once again!

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 5th May 2012, 10:09 AM

N E R D S save the day again.........Sump guard maybe

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 5th May 2012, 10:38 AM

Ok ash maybe next year avoid the moors

Glad it all turned out ok
Old 5th May 2012, 02:21 PM
Super Moderator

I think I will dry sump it over the winter sort the problem out once and for all. the bellhousing is actually lower than the sump but the angle of the crest was just perfect to miss the bellhousing and take out the sump about 20mm infront of the bh

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 5th May 2012, 02:33 PM

We will rebuild....we have the technology! (6m dollar man) ha ha... twas nice to meet you both last night..kudos to you Ash... thats not enjoyable motoring in those temps, but different I suppose, glad to hear it all held/weld together.
Ash... have a good bash at Stoneliegh
Andy....almost looking forward to going to Stockton to "meet" Lydiia since speaking to you and yep would like to see your huskies at some point.
Old 5th May 2012, 06:12 PM

Possibly easier to put a couple of ribs along the sump like angle in ally to spread the load if hit.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 9th May 2012, 12:39 PM

twas that time of year again.....

I get a phone call from a number I didn,t recognise ....answered the call & hear Ash say....."Hi mate, Ive done it again " & instantly I knew what he meant Ash always does a road trip a few days before Stoneleigh etc .

I asked "where are you?"....on the moors some where miles from anywhere was his reply,
as he was in the middle of nowhere on a single track width road he had to give me his GPS location ( longitude/latitude etc) for me to then google to work out where he was .....he couldn,t have been in a more remote location LOL.
The decision was made to get him recovered back to my place. & whilst he was waiting for the recovery truck I whisked off to halfrauds to buy oil & some "special" gasket sealant he uses on his sump, try to contact Kev as he was the most local person I knew that maybe able to help with the tig work, like a star , Kev replied quickly & was more than happy to help Ash out, so before Ash was recovered back to my garage everything was in place to get him repaired & on his way again asap....ie, oil, gasket stuff & tig repair arranged.

When Ash arrived on the back of a recovery truck I couldn,t help but tease him & say " do you want to borrow a Roadster thats working?" as I reversed mine out of the garage .

Anyways, we set to & got the sump off , off to Kevs place & Kev did a great job of the Tig work ( great garage by the way Kev....sooooo much space I was jealous ).

As Ash has said, he decided to set off to Blackpool & by all accounts his trip went well from then on, nice one .

Ash..... I think your Mrs is a Star..to put up with you breaking the car everytime you come "Up Norf" .

Anyways.....Glad to have been able to help.

ps.... I,m moving to Timbucktoo the week before Stoneleigh next year

cheers
andy

Last edited by HandyAndy : 9th May 2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: spelling, oops