Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:49 PM

Default Pinto Misfire & temperatures

Pinto Misfire & temperatures

I've got my Pinto running now. It's an 1800 fitted with ZX6R carbs - jets are standard, needles are 1 below middle groove and idle screws are 3 turns out. This is all running with a Megajolt - timing has been set and checked and the map I have is one of the 'standard' base maps doing the rounds.

When the car is sat idling (it currently idles at about 1050 RPM) every 10/20 seconds I get a pop from the exhaust. You can hear it on this video here at 15 and 35 seconds - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JVmMO2R4WY

If you watch the video further, when I raise the revs at about 40s second up until 48 seconds you can hear quite a few pops but they don't seem consistent. In the rest of the video I raise the revs further and the pops seems to decrease but there are lots coming off the throttle.

Has anyone got any suggestions on what could be causing this? An initial though I had could be air leaks into the exhaust?

Second question is about temperatures. Let the car get up to full temp. I've got a digidash and that shows that the engine fan comes on at about 105C and turns off at 98C. The fan switch is rated at about 75C so I am guessing this is just a function of the position of the fan switch against the temp sensor in the head. Does this seem like a normal sort of operating temp for a Pinto? If I hold the engine at 3500rpm for a few minutes, with the fan on the temperature sits happily at 101C so it would seem that the cooling system works.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers

Dave