Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd July 2010, 07:43 PM

Default Lifting your car

Now this is going to sound really stupid - but for the past few weeks I've had the car up on trestles while doing all the panneling and fitting. It's great working at this height so I'm contemplating lifting the engine it from the bottom while chassis is on the trestles. It would be nice then to not have to take the engine out wehn I lower the car onto the ground/axle stands.

I'm thinking I could just lift the engine as normal with the lifting brackets to lift the whole front end of the chassis inc engine up and get a couple of mates to pick the rear up while I lower. Is this a crazy suggestion? Any reason why I shouldn't do it?
Old 22nd July 2010, 08:30 PM

If you have to lift the lot onto the floor go around the engine and through the chassis rails,there is a slim chance the engine mountings could split and then you would be in the kak as they are meant to have the engine sat on them not hanging off them. Makes sense ?
Old 22nd July 2010, 08:39 PM

Yeah that had crossed my mind about them splitting - hence my possible reluctance. Might have to bite the bullert and just get 4 strops and lift the whole thing in one go. Or be a man and just work on it at ground level
Old 22nd July 2010, 08:41 PM

Think safety David and why spoil the hard work you have put in,good luck.
Old 22nd July 2010, 08:43 PM

Mount the engine as you suggest, then lower the car to the ground with the crane by using substantial slings around the whole chassis front end.
Old 22nd July 2010, 09:58 PM

I have mixed feelings on this. Way back when I did my apprenticeship as a light vehicle mechanic we regularly used to jack up minis, 1100s, 1300s, 1800s and even Princesses under the sump (cast alloy on manual boxes and pretty thick so could take the weight but don't try it on a slusher ) . 1800s and Princesses were big heavy cars around 1250KGs or so and we would regularly lift the entire front end off the ground by a jack under the sump/gearbox.

Nowadays I'd be very hesitant to do anything like this. The engine mountings are designed to handle static loads of 200KGS maximum in a downward, compression mode. To hang three (or more) times this weight off them in tension which they aren't entirely designed to handle might not be such a good idea.

I've lifted my beast (including 200KGs of V6 power plant) on and off trestles several times by putting a chain around the front chassis members which I feel is a much safer bet.

D.
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:07 PM

Rather than chains, I would use some polypropylene rope, such as is sold in diy stores. I would use several thicknesses in a loop going round the upper shock absorber mountings and the hook. This is how I use to lift kit cars until I got a jack that was big enough to lift a car in one go (substantial board under the front of the chassis).
Old 22nd July 2010, 10:15 PM
fabbyglass

I used to use one of those race car quick lift doodahs, easy to make if you don't fancy buying one but ideal as lift car just enough to get wheels off and they are secure.
Straps borrowed from eddie's trucks are ideal too
Old 22nd July 2010, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

I use my crane round the front chassis member on sierras to get em nice and high. Most cranes should easily take the full weight of a roadster

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 23rd July 2010, 06:41 AM

Good point about using a strap or rope, I only used my chain as I have it and my chassis isn't painted yet so it won't do any damage.

D.