Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th June 2013, 03:25 PM

Talking ff 2 & ff 3

Help me please ? Ff3 /ff2 is it best to cut the angle almost all the way through the box section, fold & weld, or completely cut the box section and re weld ? Sorry guys, but I am on the patio, with my broken leg, spending some quality time with my baby, and got myself in a pickle because I am sure that phil said to completely cut them, but on the amendments by ash, it says to fold.
Old 19th June 2013, 03:45 PM

I guess its personal preference but I folded mine take your time and make sure nothing can move
Old 19th June 2013, 09:48 PM

Angry

Struggling like bloody mad to get ff2 & ff3 sorted. According to the sticky, you cut 26 degrees off ff2 & ff3 so that they are leaning outwards, no problem. But then to do points c & d, basically a cut that leans them back by 14 degrees, I can't get right. It's hard marking the angle on the steel when it already has a cut on it. Am I missing a trick here ? I can't get this sorted. Half considered in a moment of rage, fitting the top rails, ff1 & ff2, get the 2 69.5 mm bits cut with the 13 degree cuts tacked in, then fabricate the remainders of ff2 & ff3 to suit. Can't understand why it's a pain, it appears to be such a simple arrangement.
Old 19th June 2013, 10:11 PM

its a real pain in the a*$£ getting it right i made 3 front frames then went and bought one ready done i worked it out afterwards and made another just to be sure i could get it right on my jig i made sure ff1 and ff4 could not move side to sideby bracing the ends of the tubes

i then marked the 26 degree angles and cut the wedge bent measured the angle and welded

the mitres are a pain to get your head around just remember they are handed so practice on a few scrap peices first

once you have got them cut a good idea would be to mock up the final position of the front wishbone brackets cause getting them right now will save you a head scratching later

sorry if it seems a little like teaching your granny to suck eggs but i got it wrong 3 times unfortunately i dont still have the last one i made i ended up cutting it up otherwise i would have just sent it down to you but keep at it and good luck
Old 19th June 2013, 10:34 PM

Talking

Thanks for that. Thank god it only had one front frame !
Old 19th June 2013, 11:09 PM

I've got a spare front frame lying around somewhere, give me a shout if you decide you want it. no idea what shape it's in, it was in a pile of parts I got, but I can measure up to see if it's right...
Old 20th June 2013, 12:14 AM

Hi Phil gave me some great advice and it worked well for me scroll down a little in the post

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12653

hope it helps

Laurence
Old 20th June 2013, 05:19 PM

Thank you both for the help. Jps, if you could have a look at that frame, and see how much you would like for it please, I am really interested.
Old 20th June 2013, 10:50 PM

Will do, might be a couple of days before I get back to you, first baby turned up this morning so it's all gone a bit off the rails!
Old 21st June 2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
Will do, might be a couple of days before I get back to you, first baby turned up this morning so it's all gone a bit off the rails!
Congrats on the new arrival