Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th November 2011, 06:33 PM

Default still confused about a arms..

Been reading my new Haynes book :-)
Been perusing the A Arm designs and have noticed, beyond the 'strange' offset of the lower shock mount (although explained somewhat by Talon.. thank you :-)
Or that the upper A Arm is suggested to have an 8 degree angle on the track rod tube.. erm Why? the angle would then be even less than optimum at actual use settings... besides it's a Ball joint :-)
I was marveling at the lay down angle of the shock /spring unit.. All literature claiming that such extreme angles deteriorate effectiveness.
Notably the lower arm is 17"~ !! ? long.
A Caterham SV (the large one :-) is 12"~ centre to centre. That particular 7 handles pretty well by most yardsticks.
My guess is that this 'extra' width was generated in attempt to accommodate the Sierra track dimension?
Silly observation: but it seems to my dim mind that widening the front chassis rather than the A Arms may have been the superior suspension design route? Certainly would have resulted in a more favourable angle for the coil units. Likely negated the need to hacksaw up the steering rack as well.
Yess the result would have been a wider nose section. Dunno if that's better or worse visually though.

Last edited by danilo : 26th November 2011 at 06:41 PM.