Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th June 2010, 09:20 PM

my parents are originally pakistani, although ive lived here all my life, but from the times ive been there and what my parents have told me, i cant imagine there being any form of road legal testing requirement, heck you dont need a license to drive, as all you really need is a few hundred rupees(about £5) as a bribe to the corrupt police as that mainly how they make their living through bribes.. You can get away with most basic crimes in pakistan(i mean like speeding, or diving without a licence) with much ease.

I can imagine it being hard to source correct parts in peshawar, as i would have thought it would be near impossible to find anything from a ford sierra, guess you'll be improvising quite abit.
Old 13th June 2010, 09:35 PM

Welcome Hamza, sounds like you have a steep hill to climb! Good luck with it all.

On a side note, 16swg is 1.626mm thick and 18swg is 1.219mm thick. The higher the swg the thinner the metal. I would suggest that 1.219 is not thick enough for the main chassis tubes, keep searching for the 16swg!

Cheers
Josh
Old 14th June 2010, 03:38 PM

Default Driving on the runway

Dear Ginge,
The air ports/air fields are surrounded by pickets with armed guards who will fire at any moving object that gets near it. They are all military air fields and the civilain cariers are only allowed to land and then pulled to a corner for parking

Will have be be more imaginative, I will look into the posibility if I can get access to the open ground where they practice para jumps.

Sincerely

Hamza
Old 14th June 2010, 03:46 PM

Default 16 swg vs 18swg

Dear Josh

Thanks a lot for your input, will search for the 16 swg, have located some in Karachi which is the other end of the country, am looking into the modality of payment and shipment. It an interesting situation, the dealer does not trust me and wants all the monet before shipment and I have my doubts if he would ship after getting paid- an interesting situation

Sincerely

Hamza
Old 20th June 2010, 05:14 PM

Talking from pole to post

Dear Friends,

Still running from pole to post for the 25x25mm 16swg, today purchased the 20x20 mm 16 swg, 19x19 as prescribed in the book are not available, and will start cutting and welding the 20x20 which goes into the base of the frame. Since Mid/tig welding is not available so will go for arc welding, In the forum I came across very interesting information posted by Enoch on arc welding. He has very kindly advised to use 2.5mm roads and 130 amp arc welder, so one of my major concerns is over.

Yes Geeman is right finding a ford Sieara is impossible, the only engines that I can get are 16 valve efi toyota, honda 1600 CC are also available, I know I will be doing a lot of improvisation- which will make the build all the more interesting plus might show a way to those who are not building a roadster as ford sieara and similar cars are not available in their countries.

Will start my build diary soon

Hamza
Old 20th June 2010, 06:55 PM

Good luck Hamza,looks like the Roadster is on a world tour.
Old 20th June 2010, 09:18 PM

Hamza,

Really looking forward to the build diary, is there a chance you would be able to get some pictures up?

Cheers Ginge

I was building but I am not now!

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 05:26 PM

Talking Yes you will see the pictures

Yes Ginge will be posting pictures of the build, the workshop will not be as fancy as the ones I see on the forum, have talked to a friend will be using his welding shop, after wards have also talked to a powder paint shop, I am certain it will be very interesting for you as it is very different from the ones I have seen on the net in UK.

Hope all of us will enjoy it, as flyerncle has put it its the Roadster is on a world tour

Hamza
Old 23rd June 2010, 01:51 AM

Nice one Hamza.....you got guts bud, who knows what its gonna look like, I know what you lot are like, fridges, washing machines, dustbin lids, go on tell me I'm wrong and there will not be a part of a washing machine in your prospective build just pulling your leg bud (bet I'm right tho)
gud luk
Kevin
Old 23rd June 2010, 07:46 AM

Default Sure you will see a lot of Non-convential junk

Dear Kevin,
Thanks a lot for your best wishes and very interesting comments, Yes you are right you will see a lot of non-conventional items being used in the build, I also plan to paint is very differently- in short it will be a fun for you all to see and comment and a nightmare for me.

I plan to take pictures of the useful items that are imported/smuggled into Pakistan from europe where they are thrown away as junk including news papers.

Hamza