Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th January 2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyAndy View Post
Nice work Nathan, looks great

May i make one suggestion? ( sorry )......the extra piece of 25mm box tube between TR8 & TR9......it might make it easier for fitting the scuttle if you positioned that new steel so that its welded to the inside face of TR2 & TT2, then build up with some plate or more box tube to fix the column bearing to it.....just a suggestion , just thinking further on in the build with the scuttle placement.

Well done on solving the new column fitment

cheers
andy
good idea andy, i didnt think about that. Its turning into abit of a head scratching mission this! Does the scuttle sit ontop of TR2? If so would it be possible to angle the top of the end of the new rail in and remove a small section of the bottom of the scuttle to fit around it if you know what i mean?

As for alternator clearance, the end of the upper column now sits closer to the outside of the car, to enable the minimum 10 degrees angle to please the iva man regarding column deflection, this may or may not give adaquate clearance, but since the motor hasnt been trial fittedd yet it will be a suck it and see

Last edited by shh120m : 30th January 2011 at 09:26 AM.
Old 30th January 2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh120m View Post
good idea andy, i didnt think about that. Its turning into abit of a head scratching mission this! Does the scuttle sit ontop of TR2? If so would it be possible to angle the top of the end of the new rail in and remove a small section of the bottom of the scuttle to fit around it if you know what i mean?
Sorry Nathan, my bad

What I meant to say was the "Engine bay bulkhead" sits between TR8 & TR9 & then the bonnet over the top, depending if you leave the return flange thats on a GRP bonnet then that would sit on top of TR2, tho you could cut a notch out of the bonnet return flange so that it misses the new steel you,ve installed,
Yes the scuttle sits on top of TR2 / TR1.

Nice work

cheers
andy
Old 7th February 2011, 08:19 PM

Hi guys,

All sorted and worked out now, Im currently working out the dimensions for the mounting plates ( my steering frame isnt to book spec) and il get some drawings posted up. I still need to make a bulkhead pannel to shroud the column, but il do that once iv hacked a grp one down to size for the other side. Heres a couple of pics, please ignore the crappy hammerite, its just there to stop things rusting while its damp.

And one showing the improved clearance on U1

nathan