Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th July 2011, 06:05 PM

i did mine by eye as i must have lost my alignment tool
a easy way to eye it up is to look not at the center but around the edge of the friction plate in the gaps and check the lip distence of the pressure plate to friction plate my one was edge to edge.
also put the box in gear and turn the output to get the splines lined up
Old 15th July 2011, 08:40 AM

Well I checked when I got home last night and I'd made a few mistakes... It wasn't aligned properly and I had the friction disc the wrong way round... I then tried to take the pressure plate back off to fix it only to discover I must've put the bolts on way to tight as they wouldn't budge. I then proceeded to split every 10mm socket I had (about 6) trying to loosen them and managed to round off the heads on most of the bolts in the process. In the end I got the chisel out and had to practically dig away under the bolts to release enough pressure to get them out by hammering a 5/8 socket on as it was the closest I had left at this point. So my pressure plate is pretty much ruined I guess but my flywheel is ok. I'm guessing now I need to buy a new clutch kit as it's pointless to only replace the pressure plate Anyone know if the clutch kits on ebay are any good or a waste of money?
Old 15th July 2011, 06:21 PM

i have a almost new sierra 1.8 cvh clutch complete
the guy who had my sierra must have spent loads as there was all sorts of almost new stuff on the old girl
as it was cheaper to buy a new clutch than to get my zetec flywheel re drilled and ballanced i did that
Old 15th July 2011, 07:03 PM

Might be worth factoring in a torque wrench as well ...as for alignment I use a straight wooden dowel or 1/2" long extension with leccy or gaffer tape to make up the two diameters needed

Last edited by K4KEV : 15th July 2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 15th July 2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
As for alignment I use a straight wooden dowel or 1/2" long extension with leccy or gaffer tape to make up the two diameters needed
Snap

I have changed dozens of clutches over the years & never use anything other than a dowel n insulation tape as an alignment tool.

Looked at proper tools loads of times but being a tight ass dickwad couldn't bring myself to splash the cash

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 16th July 2011, 07:04 AM

Well my local autofactors will do me a new clutch kit for 65 quid which didn't seem too bad compared to 70-90 quid from ebay. Only part I'm struggling to find is the pressure plate bolts. The autofactor doesn't stock them and suggested contacting a local ford dealer. The ford dealer didn't know what I was talking about
Old 16th July 2011, 07:29 AM

Default Brand

If the clutch is not a brand name its probably made by cadburys in some far off land. Worth thinking about when you look at the grief it is to change at a later date. As for the bolts they are nothing special so get them from a bolt supplier, The tensile rating is normally on the head of the bolt eg. 8.8 .

Bob
Old 16th July 2011, 09:10 AM

My next door neighbour went to the local scrappy, found a buggered gear box.
He then cut the input shaft off, hey presto clutch alignment tool.

Terry
Old 16th July 2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbug007 View Post
Only part I'm struggling to find is the pressure plate bolts. The autofactor doesn't stock them and suggested contacting a local ford dealer. The ford dealer didn't know what I was talking about

The bolts are available here

Burton Power

If you should go back to the Ford dealer tell them that you need the Clutch Cover Bolts

I don't know what grade of bolt they are but I have a stack of M8 X 15mm set bolts here ( 8.8 Grade )
Wouldnt be any problem to stick 6 of those in the post for you

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 16th July 2011, 04:13 PM

Thanks for all the help with this one guys. I got the new clutch kit home today and fitted it properly this time by making sure things like the friction disk was the right way round! I managed to salvage 4 out of the 6 bolts then took some other bolts I had from the donor and just shortened them a bit with the grinder which seems to have worked fine.