Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th February 2012, 07:35 PM

Default Transmission tunnel type 9 or mt75?

Hi, just planning ahead at the moment but hoping to start chassis soon and I am wondering if there is much difference between the two and is there any drawbacks of either?
I was planning on sticking with the type 9 as I wanted to keep to the book as much as possible for simplicity for my first build but did want to use a zetec rather than pinto as they are getting very scarce.
I understand that the mt75 is slightly bigger, so just wondering if it is best to make the chassis to accept the larger gearbox then you would have the option of fitting either box?
Old 20th February 2012, 02:08 AM

I would think if you are likely to fit an mt75 in the future then build it to suit now.
Here is a link to the mt75 chassis drawings so you can compare the difference in size.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2430
Old 20th February 2012, 06:06 AM

Welcome to the forum!

The only downside of the MT75 version I can think of is that you lose a bit of width from the (already cramped!) footwells.
Old 20th February 2012, 01:13 PM

Good info, thanks.
Will have to consider those points before I order steel.
Skov- I see you are using mx5 engine/gearbox with slight mod to rear end from book spec, good to know that there are other options available without needing huge amounts of adjustment.
Is there any other engine/gearbox options that would fit into the basic chassis without serious alteration?
Old 23rd February 2012, 07:58 PM

Think I will just stick with zetec/type 9 as this seems very popular option.
Is there anything that needs altering to the chassis to fit this engine?
I read somewhere that one of the rails needs moving slightly to clear water pump... cant seem to find that post.
Just want to make sure I have a list of any amendments that will be needed from book spec before I start on the chassis
Old 25th February 2012, 02:48 PM

the tr tube at the back of the engine needs to be steped back by 25-30mm in the middleabove the bell housing to get the std thermostat housing in at the back of the cyl head.
a simple way of doing this is to make the chassis as book then at the bit before you cut the bit out of the bottom rail for the bell housing tack (20mm welds) at the ends a section of 25mm box behind the top rail between the frontof the trans tunnel 19mm tubes then cut out the middle of the orignal with 45 deg cuts so the orignal is stepped back
i added 3mm packers in mine to get 28mm offset as it looked like i needed a bit more but 25mm would have been ok.
i hope you can get your head around my discription