Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd August 2012, 10:48 PM

Default The Flying PorkChop

Apologies in advance; I don't have any pics of my own to post (although there's not a lot to show ATM), because I know everyone likes pics

This is the first self build car that I've done, but I've known about Locosts since the late 90s. Just never had the chance and the facilities at the same time to do a self build/kit car until now.

What I hope to do in this thread is to document any problems I come across and to discuss the solutions and hopefully help other builders as much as I've been helped already.

The original plan was to be faithful to the book spec and whilst I could get Sierra parts quite easily at reasonable prices, I wanted to get a full car so that I got a more thorough working knowledge of the oily bits. I would also know that everything worked originally, so when it came to firing the car up, I knew it would be something I had done when the car didn't fire up first time Finding a suitable Sierra turned out to be more problematic than just buying the bits separate and that's what I was preparing to do.

However, SSC (and Vodou AutoKits) began to offer Mazda MX-5 versions of the Roadster at this time - decision made. The MX-5 was much more plentiful, reasonably priced with a good outlet for the unwanted parts.

A 1800cc mark 1 MX5 was found locally and brought back to base where the stripdown started. This has (deliberately) taken a lot of time as I've been taking notes and I only work on it when I feel like it, otherwise the whole project would become a chore and reduce the amount of fun it should be. Stripping, selling and sending the unwanted parts also took up a surprising amount of time.

Meanwhile, other bits have been bought slowly - a SSC flat pack chassis was the first major purchase after the MX5 and was soon followed up by some GRP panels courtesy of SSC's seconds sale last year. The wishbones have been sourced via NTS and forum member Johno. If anyone building a SSC/NTS design MX5 Roadster needs wishbones now that NTS have stopped trading, then it may be worth dropping Johno a PM to see if he would be willing to make a set. You will not be disappointed with the quality, they are superbly made. Pic below of the front wishbones...

Lots of other bits (steering, lighting etc) have been sourced via kit car shows. I recommend people go to at least one; as well as 'show only' prices on several trade stands, you also get to see a number of different kit cars which can inspire and give ideas on how to tackle problems you may encounter during the build.

I originally was going to use the 1800 MX-5 engine in the build. However, I've recently experienced a BEC. It's made me want one, so a bike might find its way in my garage. It's a good thing I'm not overly bothered whether I get a Q plate or age related plate. It appears to make little difference to the value of the car and I'm not overly bothered about having a personalised reg on the finished car.

The problem is that the mark 1 MX-5 comes with either a 4.1:1 or 3.9:1 diff which limits the choice in bike engines. A Triumph triple, for example, will have the breaktaking top speed of less than 80mph IIRC with a 4:1 ratio diff, so a bit more research is needed.

I think that's enough text for one post