Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th March 2011, 09:09 PM

Wiring harness/injection system is in, fuel pipes fitted,roll cage is being made by AAS and after initial trials and testing a new exhaust will be fitted.

Front and rear suspension is also fitted but needs setup.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
Wiring harness/injection system is in, fuel pipes fitted,roll cage is being made by AAS and after initial trials and testing a new exhaust will be fitted.

Front and rear suspension is also fitted but needs setup.
You've had a hell of a week so far, give yourself a large pat on the back Paul. Brake bias bar and adjuster will be arriving tomorrow so i'll set that all up in the pedal box. Only thing is its my birthday on Saturnday and Anja has put her foot down and has got the kids round on the afternoon and wants me back so if okay i will come up Friday afternoon with bits and get the fuel tank. Spend the afternoon up at Teamtrain.

Cant wait to get setting up the suspension, i'll bring up my inclinometer and it can be setup initially. Did Jim order the temp probe for the tyres?

Thank You....Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 31st March 2011, 12:23 PM

This might be a stupid question but are you going to keep the PPF frame or does the roadster chassis act as an effective PPF (Power Plant Frame)? Oh and does the propshaft need to be shortened? Is there mx5 based build FAQ anywhere?
Old 31st March 2011, 02:30 PM

Hi CT,

The PPF would be nice to use but will not fit in the roadster without the tranny tunnel being widened a fair amount and losing valuable width from the cockpit. The lightness of the roadster should put less torque on the diff during acceleration and therefore less of a need for the PPF, the PPF is mainly to stop the diff from twisting during acceleration so the chasis is perfectly adequate without it.

Yes the prop will need shortening but there are plenty of good prop firms that can do this.

Regards....Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 31st March 2011, 03:08 PM

Thanks Andrew, and the polo mk2 rad is good for the mx5 donor car too. So many questions...sorry!
Old 31st March 2011, 03:13 PM

It works fine with a 170hp 2.0l zetec so at the moment i can only say yes, there are different variations, thicknesses, available for the different clio engines. I will get a part number for the rad that has the greater thickness.

Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 31st March 2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud69 View Post
Hi CT,

The PPF would be nice to use but will not fit in the roadster without the tranny tunnel being widened a fair amount and losing valuable width from the cockpit. The lightness of the roadster should put less torque on the diff during acceleration and therefore less of a need for the PPF, the PPF is mainly to stop the diff from twisting during acceleration so the chasis is perfectly adequate without it.

Regards....Andrew
That's right, and the point behind the PPF is to make the car feel more responsive under acceleration.
Because the diff is solidly mounted to the engine via the PPF torque is transferred directly to it, rather than through the engine mounts -> then through the chassis -> then through the diff mounts.
The Haynes can make do without the PPF as it's going to be pretty blooming responsive anyway weighing half what the MX5 does!

Plus not using it means less weight, and more bits to sell on ebay
Old 31st March 2011, 05:28 PM

Yes I can see the logic, great thread this really useful. Thanks for getting me part numbers Andrew.
Old 31st March 2011, 05:32 PM

Just been reading a book about the mx5's development never knew they but so much effort into these cars, really quite impressed! Should be fantastic in the roadster chassis. Has anyone completed an mx5 roadster?
Old 31st March 2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Just been reading a book about the mx5's development never knew they but so much effort into these cars, really quite impressed! Should be fantastic in the roadster chassis. Has anyone completed an mx5 roadster?

Ron Champion licensed the Locost to Champion Motors in the USA. They then developed a Locost chassis for a MX5 donor, sold a bunch of chassis. The Build a Cheap Sportscar book was about assembling one. Tanner spent most of the book complaining about it not being perfect.
http://www.amazon.com/Build-Cheap-Sp...1590284&sr=8-1

Westfield are making a model for the MX5 now. Flying Miata in the USA have a build diary about putting one together.
http://www.flyinmiata.com/westfield/Torgan/index.php

MX5 based cars are a better choice for the USA because we never had many Cortinas here, and very few Sierras (Merkur XR4ti). Unfortunately there are no prebuilt chassis or chassis plans available for us at this time.