Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th February 2011, 12:40 PM

But how much torque do they produce?/BHP ? ,Reverse gear & cost?
Old 12th February 2011, 12:49 PM
fabbyglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by js1uk View Post
But how much torque do they produce?/BHP ? ,Reverse gear & cost?
depends what you get but summat like an hayabusa etc has 170ish bhp, reverse is easily done via a bike starter motor running a sprocket mounted on the diff drive flange.......you won't regret it either as the rush is awesome not too mention the noise

I used the humble Triumph daytona motor and i could pull away in 2nd no dramas, could be driven sensible but when "hooligan mode" kicks in oh deary me what a giggle
Old 12th February 2011, 02:58 PM

Regarding bike engines, is there anything in the IVA which says anything about chain drive? I was looking at the diff conversion kits on the westgarage engineering website and its got me thinking about a bike engine. I would love sequential gear changing without having to spend a fortune on a dog box
Old 12th February 2011, 03:17 PM

if you find out how to mate a rwd gearbox to a VAG 1.8
please share the knowledge
Alphax doesn,t seem to play any more..
and i have searched hi-n-low for info or a supplier and i cant find one
anywhere...
so it would probably be a DIY job
my daughter has a tuned by (r-tech) A3 and it goes like f###
it is awesome 260bhp and loads more she can have done they reckon the motor will take 300+bhp easy without much money
cheers les g
Old 13th February 2011, 10:18 AM

If you fit the engine, use the ecu and key as they are coded together.

It is possible to remove the imobiliser and a friend of mine has the 20v turbo with original ecu fitted to a MK1 Golf cabby.

One thing to watch is the throttle boy as there are two types,one fully electronic and the other earlier one has a cable.

Alpha X were the guys for the kit but as Mark says no longer playing.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 13th February 2011, 10:34 AM
fabbyglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh120m View Post
Regarding bike engines, is there anything in the IVA which says anything about chain drive? I was looking at the diff conversion kits on the westgarage engineering website and its got me thinking about a bike engine. I would love sequential gear changing without having to spend a fortune on a dog box
In a 7 the motor will be up front so that's a hell of a long chain run...
I took a gearbox sprocket from the Triumph to a machine shop who then hoofed off the teeth and machined up a noggin of steel with the same bolt pattern as the ford drive shaft UJ...the two were welded. This bolts on as per a normal sprocket then the prop just bolts to this...Don't go making a prop though as bike motors spin quite a bit.... Bailey Morris etc Reverse is a matter of a wee sprockety thing mated to same sprockety thing on whatever bike starter motor you use, some form of lifty uppy downy or pully inny outty device to engage the gears and bobs yer knobend....then it's wiring it all up so it keeps IVA bods sweet.
You will be surprised how good the reverse is even using summat like an R1 starter motor(thats what i used).

All manner of much quickness can be done, flappy paddles on the steerage down to full throttle gear changes by using elecy bits to cut the ignition just as you snatch another gear....just hang on for dear life Oh and might pay to have a slippy diff so you don't waste all that luvvly car engined whooping whoopness.

Just ask anyone with a bike engined car or look at the fizzgog of someone just driven one...........you will be hooked.
Old 13th February 2011, 10:39 AM
fabbyglass

Him gear stick gets pulled back a tiny bit just a touch if linkage is done right..so floor it and keep tapping that there gear lever.....watch out for the toads in mobile discos wearing funny hats though as they really don't like folk playing at "I'm a drag racer" away from the traffic lights......
Old 13th February 2011, 07:43 PM

Checkout this site, it is Caterham built under license here in BC Canada. I have been a couple of times to his shop/factory and on several rides with David, this is an incredible car, but very expensive. They engineered the the chain driven box so you have the same amount of gears forwards and in reverse, the cops did a radar test with him going 113 MPH in reverse on a airport runway.
Oh and by the way watch some of the videos.

Nigel

http://www.super7cars.com/gallery%20hayabusa.html[/url]
Old 14th February 2011, 04:55 PM

I am still pondering how best to make an adapter plate for the MT75 and the Audi 1.8 20v that I have in the garage at the moment. I just came online to look for the MT75 drawing I saw here a while ago and then i was going to have a trawl about for some dimentions for the Audi block.

If anyone has had experience of making an adaptor plate I would be glad to hear how they went about it and of the pit falls to watch out for etc. I was speaking to someone the other day who had been snapping input shafts and it turned out to be a poorly made plate causing the problems.

Has anyone seen any drawings/dimensions for the Audi block anywhere? I suspect they would be a real help.

I will post how I get on with it as and when but given the progress of my build it may be some time.
Old 14th February 2011, 09:53 PM

Bodger, I have the spacer plate for the 20 v engine and I am just up the hill from Blaydon.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.