Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th March 2011, 10:19 PM

was thinking along the same lines. Throw a load of cats in the exhaust system and do anything it takes to get it passed. Then can mess around with it after getting it how you want it. Not 100% legit i know but then again they are not exactly being fair are they lol

Skyline Roadster
Old 7th March 2011, 04:55 AM

Default Lpg?????

the people who imported Morgan cars to the USA years ago converted them to LPG. They flew thru emissions testing. There are a lot of LPG mixers on EBAY, could you temporarily convert the car long enough to pass?
Old 7th March 2011, 08:53 AM

Hello Mick, firstly, apologies for getting it wrong when i was told you were blasting about the ind est at washington i had wrongly assumed that you had passed. There are plenty of bike engined cars that have passed emissions i am certainly no expert in bec's but will a rolling road session not help to get a map which will suit the engine to get emissions down to a level they will pass. The IVA fees are a complete rip off though but it will certainly be worth it in the end.

Secondly, looks like we will be booking a track day for Friday 1st of April at Teesside for testing of the track car. I'm sure if you had a day flying round the track it may change your mind.

All the Best.....Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 7th March 2011, 09:32 AM
fabbyglass

Oh it's worth the effort believe me and I suggest you have a word with the lads at Mac1 motorsport as they kinda like bec's, well Colin does and they have put heaps of them thru the SVA and now IVA...
Old 7th March 2011, 11:40 AM

When i built my F27 with a ZX9 motor in it i wondered why it had to pass car emissions test also,but it is a car no matter where the engine is from.
Anyway i failed the emissions test 3 times and got real pissed off with it all,i even had the company recommended cat in it.What i did was get the emissions set up properly on a gas analyser and it passed easily,so dont give up because the first time you drive it all the dramas will disappear in an instant.
Old 7th March 2011, 01:11 PM

Spud,do you know something I dont ?

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 7th March 2011, 08:15 PM

Ive put two cats in the exhaust system now and its not made any difference.
I dont want buy a power commander and have the hastle of the rolling road. The engine in the car is nearly brand new its only got 1,500 miles on it and thats also more cash i need to through into it.
Old 7th March 2011, 08:18 PM

How much is it to do the track day at teeside? Also is there any noise regs what db levels are allowed.
Old 8th March 2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunky2772 View Post
Ive put two cats in the exhaust system now and its not made any difference.
I dont want buy a power commander and have the hastle of the rolling road. The engine in the car is nearly brand new its only got 1,500 miles on it and thats also more cash i need to through into it.
what you running engine and fueling wise i would be surprised if you could not get a bike engine thu a cat test you would need to have some form of fuel inj running closed loop lambda (narrow band would be ok)
megasquirt/microsquirt springs to mind
if you have say a newer bike engine it would have inj and a sensor in the exaust it should get through ok

thing is with cats is you have to get the fueling fairly lean to get good gasses out
you would need your pre cat co less than 0.50 to have any chance of the cat dooing its work and have it close enough to the engine to get hot enough to work its magic
this will be almost impossible with a carb setup in my opinon
as you not only have to idle but fast idle bit of the test too
Old 8th March 2011, 08:19 AM

I had the cat just past the primaries and had the mixture leaned a bit to pass the emissions,this was all done on a gas analyser with a zx9 motor on carbs and passed easily.Just takes a little know how on behalf of the person setting it up for you.