Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th November 2010, 10:32 PM

Thanks, I'll see what I can get off both cars!
Old 16th November 2010, 12:10 PM

I wouldnt get too hung up on using discs at the rear

My own car is drum braked with standard 2wd fronts and can stop as well if not better than some of the fast cars i have owned

I have had a few nice cars too, integra type R (very good at braking), m3 evo, impreza, 300zx TT etc etc

Alot of people fit discs but then have to fit a valve to reduce brake effort at the rear so that they dont lock before the fronts for IVA, and your own safety for that matter!

Drums do look pants though

Lsd is always worth having although ive never had a moment where i thought mine needs one apart from one particular corner at a track day when it was damp and the inside wheel kept spinning up, but apart from that the other 4000 miles went swimmingly ............... and quickly
Old 16th November 2010, 03:40 PM

Thanks for that.
If it really doesnt make much difference then drums would be fine and save me money as Im looking for a 2WD donor car anyway and still undecided on the engine to use. Vented fronts would be nice though. Drums can look a bit pathetic but I guess the car is small and light any way. Again LSD not essential, cant see me doing many track days just the odd PH run but another thing to add to the spec list.

Whats the view on servo's too??
Old 16th November 2010, 06:16 PM

Hello Doug,

Welcome and nice to talk to you earlier today and hope your manual was waiting for you when you got home - sounds like you're keen to get started, some good advice so far.

Don't worry about using a servo on the roadster, the car is a lot lighter then production cars and, even though you will need a bit more effort, you get much better feedback and control back through the brake pedal without the servo.

All the Best.....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 16th November 2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
Thanks for that.
If it really doesnt make much difference then drums would be fine and save me money as Im looking for a 2WD donor car anyway and still undecided on the engine to use. Vented fronts would be nice though. Drums can look a bit pathetic but I guess the car is small and light any way. Again LSD not essential, cant see me doing many track days just the odd PH run but another thing to add to the spec list.

Whats the view on servo's too??
I havnt seen any sierras that dont have vented front discs so there is no problem there

As TT said its very rare to find them with solid front discs

TT is the forums sierra expert by the way, i doubt you could ever ask him something sierra realated and get the answer "i dont know"
Old 16th November 2010, 07:39 PM

Thanks chaps.

Andy, great to speak to you earlier, sorry if I went on a bit. Thanks for all the help and advice, I think my mind is made up, its nice to speak to someone who has the time and knowledge to aid the customer that I think Id have alot of back up building one of your kits with the added ability of buying the 'packages' which should help my challenge

Thanks for all the Sierra advice, Im not really a Ford man so this will be the first time I'v worked with Ford parts.
A friend has been giving me some engine advice. Looking at CVH or zetec options too now, just got to work out electrical issues, ecu and fuelling, whether to stick with injection or put carbs on. Again, all fairly new to me.
Old 16th November 2010, 09:24 PM

Got an advert on a local website, just had a call, may have a cheap donor lined up, 2.0 DOHC Sierra!