Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th August 2013, 11:10 AM

They look good but I have already bought mine from Flow-Flex they are two pieces with crush tube like the top section of your ones ie flat that is why I was thinking of the large washer underneath because they don't dish in so I think that would be okay what do others think?.
Regards Mick.
Old 16th August 2013, 12:20 PM

That's what I was going to do with mine. Use the floflex bush and tube, and make a large 'washer' the same diameter as the bush, around 5mm thk. You could use a standard washer (as long as the washer is bigger than the crush tube) but I would like the look of a chunky one!
Old 16th August 2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason 82 View Post
Cheers for that, when people use these bushes, are they getting breakages of the diff arms at all please ? I have ordered my gbs diff mounting kit which is coming in at a whopping £150, but with this bracket kit, you cut the arms off the diff completely. I don't know how this works exactly, because when I went on my tour of gbs, there was no diffs available to look at, which was a bit of a shame really. But, if your bushing at £35 pounds each ( if my conversion rate is right ? ) , will be a much better deal. I know you have to include shipping, but still would work out a lot cheaper.
I couldnt find any information on anyone having a breakage that wasnt in a accident. The only negative information was with the use of aluminum bushings and the excessive noise. With the poly units being a nice compramise between the stock rubber and the aluminum set. As for cost, yes about £35 plus another $30 for the shipping. Can you get access to the US version of amazon.com, shipping might be less going through them.

Last edited by StruveD : 16th August 2013 at 01:18 PM.
Old 16th August 2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StruveD View Post
I couldnt find any information on anyone having a breakage that wasnt in a accident. The only negative information was with the use of aluminum bushings and the excessive noise. With the poly units being a nice compramise between the stock rubber and the aluminum set. As for cost, yes about £35 plus another $30 for the shipping. Can you get access to the US version of amazon.com, shipping might be less going through them.
Noise shouldn't be a problem in a roadster!! The noisier the better!!

Are these designed to be used with the mounts that come on the MX5? The ones that sit under the diff arms?

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 16th August 2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbolam View Post
Noise shouldn't be a problem in a roadster!! The noisier the better!!

Are these designed to be used with the mounts that come on the MX5? The ones that sit under the diff arms?

David
No the replace those with those 2 big poly pieces and just reuse the big washers.
Old 16th August 2013, 02:15 PM

75mm x 5mm disc on eBay 2 off for around £5 and drill hole in centre is what I have decided to do with mine
Old 16th August 2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numplumb View Post
75mm x 5mm disc on eBay 2 off for around £5 and drill hole in centre is what I have decided to do with mine
So are guys just using pressure to hold the bushing in then? Instead of something that extends beyond the bushing to catch the bottom side of the carrier.
Old 16th August 2013, 05:15 PM

I'm using a design alteration of the original ie by NTS/Saturn which has alterations to the diff cage.
Two plates 5mm thick one on each side bolt through from top diff mounted underneath then large 75mm x 5mm disc and nut, Flow-Flex bushings in diff carrier these are flat both top and bottom of diff carrier not dished like the ones you are using so yes the bushes are compressed between the top plate and the disc there is a crush tube through the centre of the bushes so they will only tighten up so far.
Regards Mick.
Old 16th August 2013, 05:27 PM

cant say im a great fan of the mx5 diff design and the way works in 7 kits.

i have looked at both the mx5 redesigns and if it was me i would be going down the talon/voudu one if i had to build one of the two.
i dont like the way the other one is designed

stress is under estamated in diff areas and even some of the pro's got it worng
Old 16th August 2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
cant say im a great fan of the mx5 diff design and the way works in 7 kits.

i have looked at both the mx5 redesigns and if it was me i would be going down the talon/voudu one if i had to build one of the two.
i dont like the way the other one is designed

stress is under estamated in diff areas and even some of the pro's got it worng
How are they doing?