Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st August 2013, 09:54 AM

That's good to hear
You've said in another post you have changed you're shocks about. What setup are you currently running.

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno
Old 31st August 2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johno View Post
That's good to hear
You've said in another post you have changed you're shocks about. What setup are you currently running.
I'm currently running 400lbs on the rear and 250 on the front.
The rear feels about right to me, but the front is a tad too soft.

I'm going to fit some 325lb springs on the front next week.
I was going to go for 300lb, but I managed to pick up the 325lb springs second hand (but unused), for less than half the price of a pair of new 300lb springs
Old 10th January 2014, 09:47 PM

Ah ha, I found my old build thread! Time to resurrect it.

My tax ran out on the 1st of January, and I won't bother re-taxing it until spring, so it's winter rebuild time.

I did have a list of things I wanted to improve, but seeing as it's been burning a litre of oil every 100 or so miles I'd better fix that first
Not 100% sure what's wrong, but googling suggests I probably need to replace my oil control rings.
Started tonight by unbolting various bits from the engine in preperation for removal.

Just need to decide whether to rebuild it, replace it with another 1.6, or replace it with something a little more potent.
Old 10th January 2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skov View Post
Ah ha, I found my old build thread! Time to resurrect it.

My tax ran out on the 1st of January, and I won't bother re-taxing it until spring, so it's winter rebuild time.

I did have a list of things I wanted to improve, but seeing as it's been burning a litre of oil every 100 or so miles I'd better fix that first
Not 100% sure what's wrong, but googling suggests I probably need to replace my oil control rings.
Started tonight by unbolting various bits from the engine in preperation for removal.

Just need to decide whether to rebuild it, replace it with another 1.6, or replace it with something a little more potent.
Supercharger or turbo charger!

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbolam View Post
Supercharger or turbo charger!

David
I've got a turbo, a spare manifold, and some bigger injectors sat under my desk at work as it happens
Don't want to stick it on an engine that's already burning silly amounts of oil though!
Old 10th January 2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skov View Post
I've got a turbo, a spare manifold, and some bigger injectors sat under my desk at work as it happens
Don't want to stick it on an engine that's already burning silly amounts of oil though!
Sounds like a good plan. Have a look at the mx5s running in the ma5da cup. They manage 250bhp reliably from their 1600s

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 10th January 2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a good plan. Have a look at the mx5s running in the ma5da cup. They manage 250bhp reliably from their 1600s
Ooooh I'm getting all excited!
Old 10th January 2014, 11:47 PM

I was always told that it's cheaper and better to swap engine to something bigger than turbocharging smaller engine...
But... I turbocharged my BMW with M50B25 6 cylinder engine I'm still glad I made it... with old Volvo 850T5 turbo, without lowering CR... great experience...

But... if your engine needs rebuild or similar it's easier to swap than rebuild and turbocharge it...

ZX9R BEC Haynes Roadster - build cost so far: £1125
My build thread

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." J.W.Goethe
Old 11th January 2014, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Eh?

Both Ma5da (when it was still running) and the BRSCC equivalent run near standard 1600s.

The torque equivalent of 250bhp would be about the limit for both the gearbox and the conrods. Plus I wouldn't want that much torque going through a 90-93 1600 diff, it will, more likely than not, break.

Personally, I'd rebuild rather than replace. The youngest 115bhp 1600 will be 21 years old after all. The chances of finding another engine needing some form of rebuild will be more likely.

Last edited by PorkChop : 11th January 2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 11th January 2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
Eh?

Both Ma5da (when it was still running) and the BRSCC equivalent run near standard 1600s.
That's what I thought
I seem to recall they're only allowed a head skim and a bit of porting, and have to run on the standard ECU.
I'd be surprised if they got 150bhp, let alone 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
Personally, I'd rebuild rather than replace. The youngest 115bhp 1600 will be 21 years old after all. The chances of finding another engine needing some form of rebuild will be more likely.
My thoughts exactly! I can pick up a 1.6 for less than £100, but chances are it's going to need a load of work too.

The other option I was thinking of was sticking a 1.8l Mk2.5 lump in there (~150bhp standard).
That's going to be a fair bit of work though, and even those are 10 years old and starting to go bang now...